· Name of Vessel
· Location of accident
· Date of accident
· Ship’s port of registry
· Ship’s official number
· Year of vessel’s construction
· Consult the How to Find Photographs Online article for more help.
· In Archives Search, under “Type of material”, select “Maps and cartographic material” to narrow your results.
· Wreck Reports, 1907‒1974
· Register of Investigations into Wrecks, 1911‒1960
· Marine Casualty Investigation Records, 1887‒1980
Important: Government records contain information about shipwrecks that occurred in Canadian waters, and include all accidents involving foreign vessels in Canadian waters.
Please note: this is not an exhaustive list of resources, but rather a compilation of some of the major sources of documentation available on shipwrecks held at LAC.
Another excellent source of information on shipwrecks is local public libraries. There are many maritime histories and bibliographies that offer reference points to begin your shipwreck research.