No new websites this week.
Highlanders' winter journey one of most heroic feats in Manitoba's history http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/the-sutherland-saga-240975291.html An article about the Selkirk settlers and the first European colony in Western Canada.
Ontario farmer loses part of 200-year-old family farm to military http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-farmer-loses-part-of-200-year-old-family-farm-to-military-1.1637996 A farmer has lost part of his farm land after CFB Trenton expropriated it for expansion of the military base. There is also video and photos.
Royal Canadian Mint's first collector coins of 2014 herald a historic year
Canada 150 celebrations: Your responses http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-150-celebrations-your-responses-1.2500384 Read the results of a survey that the CBC asked viewers “What do you most want to see celebrated in Canada 150?”
Thanks go to Gail Dever, Canadian Week in Review’s Special Correspondent for the following news article -
The Kitchener Library http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/kitchener-library-wants-you-to-adopt-wwi-soldiers-1.2491598 The Kitchener Public Library is asking for your help getting to know local soldiers who fought overseas in the First World War.
The library’s web page about the First World War Soldier Card Project is at http://www.kpl.org/ref/gsr/soldiercards.html
Story of the Week
Major milestones in 2014
The government says that we are about to experience major activity this year. By receiving almost daily press releases from them as we approach some very important historical events in 2014 (First World War), we are finding more plans to commemorate other events in the years ahead to 2017 and beyond.
For instance, did you know that
The Library and Archives Canada say that they plan to publish a new collection called "100 Canadian Stories of the First World War" and digitize 640,000 First World War records. The major papers which has been already put online so far has been the Attestation Papers, so does this mean that they plan to put the rest of the service files online?
And there’s more
• the centennial of the start of the First World War on Aug. 4, 2014
• the 75th anniversary of the start of the Second World War on Sept. 10, 2014
• the centennial of the writing of In Flanders Fields in spring 2015
• the centennial of the battles of the Somme and Beaumont-Hamel in 2016, and of Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele in 2017
• the centennial of Armistice Day, the end of the First World War in 2018
• the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Hong Kong (2016), Dieppe Raid (2017), Battle of the Atlantic (2018), Battle of Normandy (2019)
• the 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War in 2020
• the 100th anniversary of the City of Kitchener is a war-related milestone of major local significance that we'll reach in 2016.
Reminder: Check the Canadian Week in Review next Monday for the latest in Genealogy, Heritage, and History news in Canada. It’s the ONLY news blog of its kind in country! The next post will be on 27 January 2014.